Built in 1879 for the International Exhibition of 1880, this exhibition centre is an architectural masterpiece; the concrete dome over the main hall was modelled on Brunelleschi’s cathedral in Florence. It is one of the world’s oldest exhibition pavilions and is Australia’s first non-Aboriginal cultural site to be classified as a World Heritage Site. The exterior is more impressive than the interior, partially due to its setting within the Carlton Gardens.
- 9 Nicholson Street, Carlton VIC 3053
- Trams 86, 95, 96 (stop: Gertrude Street/Nicholson Street)
- Telephone (03) 9270 5000
- Website www.museumvictoria.com.au
- Tours cost $10
- Tours depart 2pm most days